Re: [squid-users] NTLM authentication in Cache Hierachy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 02:19:44 +0100

The browser can only authenticate to the first proxy. This is a
limitation of the HTTP protocol. It is then the responsibility of this
proxy to authenticate to any upstream proxy if required.

When using Basic HTTP authentication you can chain the authentication on
multiple proxies IFF all of them shares the same password database. See
the cache_peer login= option. This also works for Digest if the first
proxy is not doing any authentication, but cannot be used for proxying
the NTLM authentication scheme.

If using NTLM of Digest scheme on the first proxy you cannot forward the
authentication of the client to the upstream proxy. Your alternatives
are then to either

 a) Reconfigure the upstream to allow requests from the sibling without
requiring authentication

 b) Use the login= cach_peer option on the sibling to specify which
user the sibling should authenticate as to the upstream proxy.