[squid-users] Strange behavior using winbind and sibling caches

From: Hugo Monteiro <hugo.monteiro@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:06:35 -0000

Hi there,

I currently have 3 Squid-cache servers (sibling)in a LAN and other 2 (parent) outside in a DMZ, but i'm facing 2 problems using NTLM+Winbind:

1) For sometimes to sometimes a NTLM authentication window appears using IE,
i tried to see what was going on in the squid logs, and i found that a authentication
was not beeing made, no domain\username was found in each connection and a TCP_DENIED was returned with each one.
I tried to force authentication in that same window, but still no authentication was sent, or it keeped asking authentication for each object beein fetch.
I start tweaking with "auth_param" parameters:
- increased max "children";
- changed "max_challange_reuses" from 0 to 2;
- changed "max_challange_lifetime" to 2 minutes;
Can someone tell why this happen?

2) Another thing i notice, it's that in some sites trough HTTPS with authentication (Authentication with HTML Forms) the session immediatly expires once i've login.
I suppose this is because of the round-robin parent caches, because different objects are fetch by different caches and the webserver "thinks" it's a different connection (?), or maybe it's because of a poor session handling scripts on the client or webserver part, i don't no. Does this happens to someone else?

Thanks in advance.

-
Hugo Monteiro