[squid-users] Fwd: Re: Accept-Language caching?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:19:10 +0100

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Re: Accept-Language caching?
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:03:22 +0100
From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
To: Jason Geffner <jtg24@cornell.edu>, info@squid-cache.org

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 20.58, Jason Geffner wrote:
> I am a student at Cornell University, and am taking a class which
> requires that I build a caching web proxy.
>
> I'm curious as to how Squid handles the Accept-Language header with
> respect to caching. Does it cache each page with the same URI but
> different Accept-Language requests separately?

Squid-2.5 does if the server indicates it based the reply on the
Accept-Language header setting via the Vary header.

Squid-2.4 can not do this, and as a result does not cache replies
having a Vary header.

See also http://devel.squid-cache.org/vary/ (this is in Squid-2.5)
 and http://devel.squid-cache.org/etag/ (this is not yet in mainline
 Squid).