RE: [squid-users] MAC bacsed ACL

From: Damaso Hernandez <damaso.hernandez@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:55:54 +0100

I have squid installed in a school with 6 classrooms (15 computers each).
I tried to grant/deny Access base don IP'S
        They changed IP'S all time trying Access to internet.
Then I tried ACL based Access control
        Terrible!! They changed MAC address in Windows 98/2k (I can't
restrict access to configuration dialogs because they need it to
learn about).

When they change IP'S you can detect it because Windows tell you what mac
address has stolen the IP, but if they change mac addresses you are lost!.
When two computers in the same subnet have same MAC Address, network becomes
unstable, you get no error or warning message and access to network
resources works in a strange way.

Finally I decided to use external auth and I give access not to classrooms
but to groups of users. Now they don't change IP'S nor MAC'S.

I hope my experience may help you. Sorry for mi English.

Dámaso.