Re: [squid-users] How often is my cache cleared ?

From: Robert Collins <robertc@dont-contact.us>
Date: 19 Feb 2003 22:12:49 +1100

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 20:02, reymc@eurecom.fr wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been struggling for days now to find out the meaning and default of the
> following tag in squid2.5 :
>
> authenticate_cache_garbage_intervall

It determines how often the user cache inside squid is garbage
collected. The comments in squid.conf.default are fairly clear IMO. Have
you read them? (Include the bit that says "Only change if you have good
reason to.")?

> Then I think I did understand the meaning of the following one but
> I need to know the default values of them :
>
> credentialsttl (for basic authentication)

Explained in squid.conf.default.

> authenticate_ttl

Ditto.

> authenticate_ip_ttl

Ditto.

> How often is the cache cleared?(I have been searching everywhere but I couldn't
> find any default values)

At the garbage collection interval. The default is listed in
squid.conf.default.

> The reason why I am asking this is that even when changing these values to 0, I
> am not prompted more often for authentication.

They have no impact on how often you are prompted for authentication.
None. Zip. Nada.

> Actually, without setting these parameters, I am prompted for a password each
> time I open a new IE window (but not for each new request in the same window).
> My goal is to avoid being prompted again for authentication each time I open a
> new IE window.

That is up to the browser, not squid.
Rob

--