RE: [squid-users] Squid Stores caches based on ips?

From: Thiago Lima <thiagolima@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:37:00 -0300

On Thursday 20 February 2003 15.40, Thiago Lima wrote:
> Put a private dns server, but then after a little while squid stops
> responding requests. Looking into the FAQ i found that I should use
> the dnsserver program. So I recompiled squid using todays version (CVS

> snapshop) with the --without-internal-dns parameter.

Where in the FAQ did you find that the dnsserver program should be
used if you have a private DNS server? This is not correct.

        Its not about private DNS, its about having too many DNSs
requests and blocking the main squid process. Its question 4.10 in FAQ.

> When I start squid I receive a warning from dnshelper saying
that -s
> option is not supported. -s seens its the option that squid uses to
> pass to dnsserver program the dns_nameservers option. And -s is not
> suported in current version of dnsserver. I got "-s is not supported
> on this resolver".

The last words in that sentence is the key... "... on this resolver",
where "resolver" is the gethostbyname() implementation in your OS
libraries, not Squid.

        Sorry about that, didn't read it right.

> I can't change the resolv.conf in that machine to point to this
> private DNS because other applications would start using it. And I
> can't use hosts file because I have too many entries (more than a
> 1000) and I'm afraid that lookups will be slow.

You do not need to worry about the size of the hosts file for speed.
Squid reads and parses the specified file at startup (does not need
to be /etc/hosts).

        Ok, I'll do that, but everytime I change it I should give a
RECONFIGURE signal in squid?

Thanks alot Henrik,
You are doing a great good to all squid community.

thiago.