Re: [squid-users] All redirector processes are busy

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:09:42 +0100

Jeff Donovan wrote:

> greetings
> I get this message and it says
> "consider increasing the number of redirector processes in your config
> file"
>
> okay,..I've done that. i started out with 3 and i am up to 20,...and i
> still get it every once in a while. i usually ignore it because things
> seem to work fine. however someone on my network is getting delayed.
>
> Is this normal or is there a better way to streamline the child
> processes.
>
> stable 2.5
> OSX 10.2.3 server
> Cache dir 16gb
> cache mem 256 mb
>
> Also the cpu usage is always running above 60%. most of the time it's
> between 80 and 100%. The docs specify that the cpu speed isn't as
> critical as the drive specs. but it looks to me like i could use a
> quicker processor.
> your thoughts

 What kind of redirector program are you using ?
 What's the normal load on squid during prod. time (url's/sec).

 You have redirector_bypass directive in squid.conf which can
 be turned on or off.
 On means that redirector will not be used if all of them are busy.
 Off = reverse of course.

 For squidguard I get it very infrequent (all redir's busy), I have
 redirector_bypass off (default). Because we are rather strict
 on preventing access to 'unwanted' material on the Internet.

 M.

--
 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM