RE: [squid-users] All redirector processes are busy

From: <sean.upton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 10:12:48 -0800

You are running on a newer SMP Apple machine, right? Have you considered
just bumping up the number of processes to the compiled max (32?) to ensure
that you don't run into this problem. If you have a high load-average, you
likely have one of two problems (or both):

        - Too little horsepower or a uniprocessor box.
        - Not enough memory & much CPU usage is from excessive swapping.

There are a lot of people who say you don't need an SMP box for Squid, but
this is not true in the case of a CPU-bound redirector load. How much
system memory do you have and how much are your redirectors using? Have you
considered monitoring load average and memory pressure with something like
MRTG or another graphing program to figure out where your system's breaking
point is?

Adding more processes obviously means you are also adding more context
switches, but if Squid is feeding your redirectors faster than they can
respond, you likely want to keep the number high for functionality's sake
(but if the performance goes straight to hell, look for more resources).

One other thing I have always thought is that in some cases it would be nice
if Squid could do selective caching of existing "queries" to the redirector
process to avoid the communication latency and CPU requirements of the
redirector process for all accesses (wishful thinking now, but who knows,
might be possible in the future).

Sean