[squid-users] Authentication Question - Username

From: Mauricio Pegoraro <mauricio.pegoraro@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:30:32 -0300

I was wondering if there's a way to pass the username of the local machine to the proxy. And use this username in the Squid acls.

Let's explain a litttle more:

- there's a network where the workstations are Windows NT and Windows 2000;
- all these WS authenticate against a Novell Server (NDS) with the Novell Client for Windows;
- so, authentication is not a problem. The users only use the WSs if they authenticate. And there's no need for the proxy to "re-authenticate" the users.

So my question is: how to pass just the username to the Squid? And then pass it to the ACLs and all the logging.
The purpose of this is for the users not have to type their username and password in a dialog box (and, after that, the proxy "redo" an authentication).

Any idea about that? I've searched various sites and resources. But find nothing.

Thanks. MaurícioWP.

   Maurício Westendorff Pegoraro
   Analista de Suporte - Segurança
   Suporte ADP RBS