Re: [squid-users] couple of squid questions

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:53:30 +0100

Alex Sharaz wrote:

> hi all,
> couple of questions re squid config
>
> My squid hardware is based round systems with a 1.8Zenon cpu 4Gbytes of ram
> and 4 36Gbyte disks for cache storage running RH 8.0 with the 2.4.18-24smp
> version of the kernel. Each disk has 1 partition set up cachedir ufs <90%
> of disk space> 256 256
>
> what sort of cache_mem setting should I be looking for in the above config.

 You could have a go with 128.

> did have aufs set up for a while but seemed to have a number of error
> messages indicating that particular directories on a cache disk could not
> be found e.g. cache1/0a/ob ... didn;t seem to have made any difference but
> I would have excpected a squid -z to have created all the directoroes it
> required.
>
> Should I be aufs?

 Yes, if you are expecting a 'high' or moderate load on squid.

> and lastly
> given that the Zenon processors can support hyper-threading, is there any
> magical squid config settings that'll make use of this? Using 'top' it
> looks as if it isn't at the moment.

 No squid,isn't 'SMP designed' except for aufs which uses threads, but
this
 does not make real benefit of horse power cpu's in the 'computational
sense'.

 M.

--
 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM