Re: [squid-users] Problem with proxy auth PXY2

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:35:43 +0100

Header in %{Header} needs to be the name of the HTTP header you want
to have sent to the helper. In this case Proxy-Authorization, i.e.
%{Proxy-Authorization}

But as I said in my previous resonse sent about 1 week ago to you this
is not really needed. The auth logics of Squid as is is sufficient
for identifying users who have not yet logged in to their browsers.

What you absolutely need is the ability to have deny_info redirect to
another URL. This is provided in the Squid-3 development versions but
is also available as a patch to Squid-2.5 from
http://devel.squid-cache.org/

The trick is to make sure all requests without correct user
credentials are redirected to the policy page, except for the request
where the user confirms the policy where the normal authentication
required response is instead allowed to be returned, and when the
user has logged in he is redirected back to the URL he originally
requested. The credentials cache in the browser then takes care to
maintain the user session for us and makes sure the user successful
user credentials are attached to each following message, ensuring
that authentication will be successful and deny_info won't trigger
again..

You cannot do this with redirectors in the manner described. You MUST
use the new deny_info capability to redirect the user instead of
sending access denied (including authentication required). And it can
only be made to work with plain old Basic HTTP authentication.

To do a scheme like this in a fully proper manner Squid needs to be
extended with some kind of session concept, keyed by either username
or client IP address. To do so will involve a bit of C coding inside
Squid.