[squid-users] Groups using authentication via wb_auth

From: Scott Wrosch <swrosch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:24:25 -0500

Hello once again!

I swear, management drives me nuts. Supervisors drive me nuts. People
who tell me one thing that they want, then tell me something different
after I already give them what they want drive me nuts! Argh!

Okay, so I'm going to give a run-down of what I need to do, then find
out if it can be done, and if so, how. Points to FAQs or whatever would
be much appreciated.

Okay, here's what we've got:

Running a Windows 2000 Domain with two Domain Controllers. We have
approximately 100-120 users at this site, which is the primary concern.
Of these 100-120 users, we have a variety of network and Internet needs.
First we have our Customer Service people. Then we have everyone else.

Now, we have some CS people who need no Internet access whatsoever.
Then, we have some who need access to perhaps 1 or 2 specific sites.
Then, to top that off, we have others who may need access to 1 or 2
specific sites as well. Still more, we have some people who may need
access to the 2 or 4 sites mentioned above. And finally, we may have
people who need Internet access as well. We also have everyone else,
most of whom will usually need Internet access.

With that being said, I'm looking at needing to create groups of users,
some users being in multiple groups.

Now, I have set up squid-2.5.STABLE1-20030225 on a RedHat 7.3 system. I
had used msnt_auth for authentication, before it was determined we
needed groups. So after a posting or two here, I tried LDAP. Doesn't
appear to be set up here. Not a big deal, as it looked to be quite
confusing anyways. So now I'm using winbind via the Samba suite
(2.2.7a) for authentication. Works beautifully. I was under the
impression that we were going to create the groups on the Domain
Controller, and then control access that way. Nope. Not happening.
They want to keep all the groups on the server.

So, with that being said, I'm stuck. I had planned on creating groups
in the domain, and going about it using wb_group for everything. Too
many "dependencies"... (/me beats head on desk.)

I'm looking for suggestions. Pointers to FAQs. Anything that will get
me on the right track so I can stop beating my head on my desk. I've
been poking around, going through archives and stuff, and I've seen much
that looks like it will work. The problem is, in the mental state that
I'm in at the moment, I haven't been able to put the pieces together.
I'm sure it can be done... I just can't get everything connected in my
mind in order to do it.

Help!

Thanks in advance!

Scott Wrosch
desk 248.333.7700 x227
email swrosch@marketingassociates.com

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling
but in rising every time we fall." -- Confucius