Re: [squid-users] NT multi domain authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:47:52 +0100

michele.de-martin@electrolux.it wrote:

> Ok, let's go for some scenarios.
>
> 1) User domain and workstation domain are the same.
> Using the domain of the initial negotiate packet we can achieve multiple
> not trusted domain authentication.

In theory yes.

> 2) User domain differs from workstation domain but the two domains are in a
> trust relationship
> Given the trust, can we authenticate against the workstation domain instead
> of the user one?

Yes.

> 3) User domain differs from workstation domain and they are not in a trust
> relationship.
> No hope. Is this a feasible situation?

Not much to do in such case, except for setting up a trust relation..

> Anyway.
> For points 2) and 3): can we send to the browser a second (and correct)
> challenge packet after we receive the client authenticate packet with the
> correct domain?

I would not expect this to be possible, but you are welcome to try if
you like to test the boundaries of the NTLM implemementation in
Microsoft browsers..

I would expect the browser to display a login box in such case, as the
server rejected the proposed user credentials..

> For me point 1) is the most important: the only one I must face up to.
> Is it possible to include point 1) in squid ntlm authentication with some
> warning about its limitations?

Yes. There is a one-line change to have the client negotiate packet sent
to the helper as part of the YR request.. the needed change can be found
in the experimental ntlm_smbpasswd branch where I hope(d) to be able to
experiment with an implementation of NTLMv2 which requires access to the
negotiate packet to function properly..

The ntlm_smbpasswd branch can be found from
http://devel.squid-cache.org/projects.html#ntlm_smbpasswd