[squid-users] multiple squid cache configurations

From: Alex Sharaz <A.Sharaz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 08:58:36 +0000

Hi,

At the moment I have 4 squid caches connected to a single Foundry Networks
ServerironXL via 100Mbit full duplex links. The ServerIron is connected
into our backbone network via Gigabit link.

Each of the squid caches has 2 100Mbit ethernet ports on the motherboard

As the above confgig has a single point of failure (the ServerIron) what
I'd like to do is implement a dual homed setup using two ServerIrons and
have each cache connected to each ServerIron. This, according to the
Foundry docn, will allow me to create an active-active setup where traffic
from our net will be able to access all our squid caches via either
ServerIron.

All the caches and ServerIrons will be on the same class C subnet.

The problem I've got is that while inbound traffic will be load balanced
over the 8 fast ethernet ports on the cache boxes, I don't know how to
persuade squid to load balance outgoing traffic over the two interfaces on
the server. Normally I'd just have a default gateway setup on each cache
but that's not going to work in this case as I'm trying to use two
interfaces.

So ... if i've got 2 interfaces on a squid cache on the same net, how do I
persuade squid to load balance outgoing traffic over both interfaces.

TIA
Alex