Re: [squid-users] Commercial Cache server

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 23:08:12 +0100

On Monday 03 March 2003 22.43, Alireza Naderi wrote:

> I know that this mailing list is just for squid, but i
> have a question
> about cache servers.
> Do any one work with one of them?

I am partial as we build commercial Squid based cache servers with
filtering subscription options.. B-)

> Do you think which of them is better and have more
> ability and performance?

Squid is perhaps not among the fastest among all the player, but
generally the most flexible and versatile, even if some of the
configuration aspects of Squid is a bit arcane until you get
acclimatised to squid.conf..

> How about filtering with them?

What about filtering? (see below)

> Is it necessary to install others product such as
> smartfilter & websence?

No matter which cache server you use you need a subscription to a good
filtering service if you want such function. Which filtering services
are supported varies with the product. Some support Squid, some
don't.

None of the filter providers are supported by Squid as-is and all need
extra software and/or patches to be installed. Details depends on the
selected web filter provider.

There is a major difference between the commercial cache vendors and
Squid in that for the commercial cache vendors it is in the
commercial cache vendors interest to have support for web filter
services and is who selects which web filter providers you may use
with their product, but with Open Source proxies like Squid each
filter provider have the option to provide the needed support.