[squid-users] Occasional graphics not loading

From: Rick Matthews <RedHat.Linux@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 14:21:09 -0600

Several times a day my browser (IE 6.0 SP1) will finish loading a
web page (in the normal amount of time) and there will be one or
more of the red "X"s on the page (graphic missing). Then I'll
<right-click><show picture> and it will immediately load. Generally,
it is one graphic that might be used in several places, so a single
<right-click><show picture> makes them all go away. It's typically
a very small file; many times it is a "filler" that simply fills
out the page.

Last night I finally took the time to document the occurrence with
hard evidence. Remember that this is just the most recent example;
it happens regularly.

I went to:
http://www.dmregister.com/news/stories/c4788993/20672516.html

The page loaded and left a vertical row of X's in the left margin
under the "News" heading. I did a <right-click><show picture> on
one of the X's and they all went away. I immediately grabbed a copy
of squid's access log and found (right at the end) the graphic that
I manually loaded:
http://desmoinesregister.com/art/rightarrow.gif

I then searched backwards in access.log for that graphic and it does
not appear again. The page load completed and yet this graphic was
never requested. How can that be?

Thanks in advance!
Rick