Re: [squid-users] can squid perform authentication without prompting users for usernames and passwds ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 10 Mar 2003 12:33:00 +0100

mån 2003-03-10 klockan 10.58 skrev reymc@eurecom.fr:
> Hello all,
>
> I used to have a Border Manager proxy that could perform authentication without
> explicitly asking the users to enter username and password.
>
> Is there any way of having this kind of authentication with the squid proxy. Is
> ntlm a solution for this ?

ntlm is one solution, but requires MSIE browsers and users to be logged
on to a Microsoft NT domain.

The main issue is how to reliably identify the user. If Border Manager
is doing so without a login I suspect they are only identifying the user
based on his/her IP address, not really authentication.

--
Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden