Re: [squid-users] squid config defaults, hardware specs

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 01:00:09 +0100

On Wednesday 12 March 2003 00.47, Gary Hostetler wrote:
> I was wondering if the default config for squid on how long cached
> files should be used etc. were good enough not to change.

The defaults is generally acceptable, but you might want to configure
a couple of clever refresh patterns for increased hit rates..

> What about maximum size of cached files?

This you might want to increase if you have a large cache.

> Does squid clean off cached files when it gets close to
> the maximum size of the cache?

Yes. This is why there is a cache_dir parameter telling the size of
the cache..

> One site
> gets a half million hits a day. The cache size is about 25 gigs.
>
> I am running this on a Cobalt Raq 550 that is 1 gig processor, 256
> ram, and 40 gig ide drive.

Only 256MB ram is a little bit short for 25 gig cache.. see the Squid
FAQ on memory usage.

> I also use a 3Com propritory webcache
> server (cost $4500) and it has 2 scsi drives and more ram. I don't
> think their software is any better except in the management of it.

Thanks ;-)

> I won't know until I put the squid box into total production as to
> how it compares to the 3Com box. Anyone else have experience with
> the 3coms?

Never seen one.

> I could run this on a Compaq Ml370 with hardware raid, dual 1 gig
> processors and accelerated scsi and use linux as the operating
> system.
>
> Or am I better off to use an all in one Cobalt linux server that I
> am using nowbut just beef up the ram and maybe raid the ide drives.

For Squid performance you want several drive heads which can operate
independently. For best performance you should use individual drives
with no raid.

If you want some hard numbers on how the cache operates on a certain
hardware or configuration you can use the very good Web Polygraph
benchmarking tool.