[squid-users] swap growing to big and slowing everything down

From: Stuart Clark <newsgroup1@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:28:20 +1100

Hi

The swap space starts off at 2 meg and slowly grows over 10 hours to 300
meg. By this time requests are extremely slow with page faults
occurring.

Celeron 1.2 GHZ
512 RAM
1 x scsi 4 GIG (ext3)
1 x ATA100 70 GIG (ext3)
Redhat 7.3
squid-2.4.STABLE6-6.7.3.rpm
Swap space 1 gig

The total size of the cache storage was 50 gig but I have reduced it to
38 gig to try and fix the problem

my squid box is running about 55 gig of traffic per month (transparent)

The CPU runs at 2% or less
The ram runs at 495mb constantly without change

Current config settings:

cache_mem 32 MB
cache_swap_low 40
cache_swap_high 45
maximum_object_size 5000 KB
maximum_object_size_in_memory 8 KB
cache_dir ufs /cache 4800 16 256
cache_dir ufs /cache3 73000 16 256
httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_port 80
httpd_accel_with_proxy on
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

What I have tried:

Reducing cache_mem from 64 to 32
Reducing cache_swap_low from 90 to 40
Reducing cache_swap_high from 95 to 45
Reducing reducing maximum_object_size from 10000 KB to 5000 KB
Reducing maximum_object_size_in_memory from 64 KB to 8 KB

Have I got a memory leak?
If so how can I fix this problem?

IPCHAINS
Only port 3128 is allowed from my dialup clients ip address pool