Re: [squid-users] swap growing to big and slowing everything down

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:25:01 +0100

On Thursday 13 March 2003 00.42, Neale Banks wrote:

> > Reducing reducing maximum_object_size from 10000 KB to 5000 KB

This acutally will increase the memory usage of Squid womewhat, as
fewer large objects will be cached allowing for more objects in total
to be cached...

> Assuming 2.4.*, ipchains probably isn't your best option (and IIRC,
> there have been memory leaks in this department before - anyone
> confirm this?).

Yes. Linux-2.4.0 to 2.4.18 (I think) had very serious memory leaks in
the ipchains REDIRECT target..

For linux-2.4 iptables should be used unless one has a very strong
reason why to continue using ipchains. The ipchains emulation of
Linux-2.4 is barely maintained (as can be seen above..) while
iptables is actively maintained and constantly improved with each
Linux-2.4 release.