Re: [squid-users] Transparent - cisco router

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 12:39:28 +0100

128Kbps is not very much and can very easily be monopolised by one
single user doing a download or other heavy operations. 128Kbps shared
by 250 clients is less than 0.5Kbps per client which is about the speed
of a modem from around 1980.. now as not all your users are constantly
competing for access to the internet every second the actual bandwidth
available to each user is aggregated and the situation should be a lot
better than this theoretical value.

One thing you can try is to use the delay pools feature of Squid to not
assign more than 30Kbps with a burst of 40Kbyte per user. This should
make browsing more smooth without limiting the bandwidth available to
each user for browsing too much, mainly limiting the speed of downloads.

delay_pools 1
delay_class 1 3
delay_pool_rates 1 -1/-1 -1/-1 3500/40000
delay_access 1 all

Another thing you might want to try is to limit the TCP window size of
the proxy server. Linux defaults to a very large TCP window size which
can have very negative impact on slow Internet connections it the ISP
has assigned a too large packet queue in the ISP router in proportion to
the assigned bandwidth. A large router queue helps optimizing download
speeds if there is a single user but makes a disaster if the link is to
be shared by multiple users (the latency of the link skyrockets due to
the long transmit queue of the ISP router). Have seen such configuration
in a number of ADSL providers where the latency of the link could go up
to several seconds because of this configuration error by the ISP.