[squid-users] prefer_direct off & never_all

From: Ben White <mompopiah@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:39:33 +0800 (CST)

Hi,

Is there any difference between Option 1 and Option 2,
or both are the same ?

Option 1
==========
cache_peer parentcache.foo.com parent 8080 0 no-query
never_direct allow all
prefer_direct off

Option 2
==========
cache_peer parentcache.foo.com parent 8080 0 no-query
prefer_direct off
never_direct allow all

I have a POST problem last Fri. The problem seems to
go away after using “never_direct allow”. This was
also mentioned in the Nov 2002 mail-archive.

I also want to use “prefer_direct off” bec I would
like to use direct connections when the parent goes
down.

Now, I’m wondering if Option 1 would stop squid from
going direct. Should I change the order of these 2
directives (Option 2), so that squid would NOT be
prevented from going direct if the parent is dead ?

I’m unable to shut down my parent cache to do this
test now, as it’s an important machine on our network.
Can someone pls tell me which option to use, or it
doesn’t matter at all ?

Thanks.