Re: [squid-users] IP Masqurade in Squid-

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:46:59 +0100

Azad_A wrote:

> Hi
> This is not fully serving the purpose.If incase i sent a mail from yaoo.com
> to some id ,In the full headers I see the squid proxys IP and not the actual
> Client IP.
> Any more suggestions.Can this be done?

Yes and no.

a) Yahoo can select to trust the information provided by the proxy about
who the original client are.

b) In theory it may be possible to teach the Squid server to spoof the
client IP address when making the outgoing connections, but this buts
very specific requirements on the design of your network (the Squid
server must be the ONLY AND SINGLE gateway whereby all Internet traffic
is sent) and requires a great deal of patching both to Squid and the
underlying operating system (support is limited to Linux).

Also, attempting 'b' is a gross violation to the TCP/IP specifications,
much worse than transparent proxying.