RE: [squid-users] Squid 2.5 and SmartFilter causing frequent crashes

From: Lightfoot.Michael <Lightfoot.Michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:22:02 +1100

I have delayed sending a reply to Robert's message because I am not sure
whether it will be taken the wrong way, especially as Robert does so
much of the backroom work. Please take the following as something
meant to be positive and supportive of the squid developers, no matter
how it looks.

> > Does the above mean anything to anybody? How can I get a better
> > indication of where the segment violation is occurring?
>
> No segment violation is occuring. A logic violation is
> occuring and triggering an assert. asserts are used to detect
> programmer error - where the programmer has either misued an
> internal API, or hasn't covered some corner case and that
> resulted in inconsistent internal state.

Well can you tell me whether this is a squid code problem or a
SmartFilter problem? And I _know_ this is a different error to the
non-committal one about a segment violation. I thought they _might_ be
related. Neither produces a core file so I can't even get past square
one.

> > And please no
> > lectures about source code hacks by commercial vendors! :-)
>
> I won't lecture you, but I also can't support you as I don't
> know what the code you are running looks like. Nor do I want to know.

And I won't bother you with it, except to note that store_client.c line
201 and the surrounding code is not changed by the SmartFilter patches.
In fact none of the store*.c files are changed by SmartFilter. Perhaps
this assert is really a squid problem, triggered by something that the
SmartFilter code does?

> > I am also running squid 2.5STABLE1 on another server under
> Solaris 2.6
> > without SmartFilter or Ad Zapper. It hasn't missed a beat.
>
> Right. That should give you a clue :}.

And that isn't a lecture, smiley or not?

Robert, you gave me a useless answer last time as well. Please don't be
so arrogant. What I am looking for is some guidance on how I can beat
Secure Computing about the head. They are being largely unhelpful, you
are being wholly unhelpful. Maybe you could read my message again and
try to give me an answer to my question: "What can I do to get better
diagnostics?"

Michael Lightfoot
Unix Consultant
ISG Host Systems
Comcare
+61 2 62750680
Apologies for the rubbish that follows...
NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
error, please notify the sender by return email immediately. Comcare
does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.