[squid-users] RE: redirect authenticate and surf

From: Rick Matthews <RedHat.Linux@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:08:58 -0600

James Ambursley writes:

> I would like non authenticated users to be rediercted to an internal
> site and have no access. I would like users when they initially
> connect to be redirected to a internal web site. Then they will
> authenticate with a link on the web site via radius and then surf.
> Squidguard redirects users to the internal site. After the users
> authenticate they should be allowed to surf freely.

I'm not the best source of information on authentication (since I've
never used it), but it doesn't look like the people who do use
authentication are going to help you.

I think what you are trying to set up is "authentication", plain and
simple. I think the main difference between your authentication
and the authentication used by others here is you are using radius.
I did a little reading on squid/radius authentication
<http://selm.www.cistron.nl/authtools/>, and I don't think radius
changes the overall authentication process. Sure, the authentication
program/helpers are different, but I think the process remains the
same.

It is not uncommon for squid to receive a request from a user who
has not yet been authenticated, but whose acl requires authentication.
I'll never say "never", but I've been reading the squidGuard mailing
list for going on 3 years, and I can't remember a single time where
someone was using squidGuard to redirect to the authenticator. I
think you are trying to manually construct something that can
happen automatically.

Hopefully someone familiar with authentication will jump in and
straighten us out.

Rick