Re: [squid-users] Squid and Windows XP

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:45:27 +0100

"Mr. Tom Rule" wrote:

> We're using Squid as our proxy and filter for the Student PCs - which are
> running a mix of Win98, Win2k, and WinXPpro. The Faculty Macs all run
> throught it as well (from a different subnet).
>
> We can have all the Win98 and 2k machines, AND all the Macs running on the
> Web, and nobody complains about slowness. BUUUUUUUT.......when more than 3
> WinXP machines jump on the web, the XP machines slow to a crawl. It takes
> 75 seconds for the Google homepage to come up.
>
> Does anyone know of any WinXP specific tweaks we need to make to Squid so
> the blasted XP machines will stay happy?

 Difficult to tell.

 Which version of squid is involved ?
 On which platform/os/version ?

 Which browser is used on XP + version ?

 Possible things to look at could be persistent connection
 setting in squid.conf and or browser but this is a wild shot.

 Check cache.log on squid for problem info,etc.

 M.

> Tom Rule
> Co-Technology De-confusionating Guru
> Mount de Sales Academy
> Macon, GA
> www.mds.macon.ga.us/~trule
> www.mp3.com/tomco The Band
> www.mp3.com/trule The Normal Stuff
> www.mp3.com/tomex The Experimental Stuff

 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM
 (M.E. Mar 2002)