Re: [squid-users] What is relation between swap.out , swap.in and Page faults with physical i/o in cachemgr.cgi script

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:01:41 +0100

atit wrote:

> I am using Squid 2.5 Stable.
> I am using cachemgr.cgi script to monitor squid performance.
> I have one confusion which is as follow:
>
> What is relation between swap.out , swap.in and Page faults with physical i/o in cachemgr.cgi script?

There is no clear relation. The "Page faults with physical i/o" depends
a lot on the OS used.

OS:es using paging for disk I/O will show very high page faults under
normal conditions, while OS:es which only uses page faults for swapping
should show very low numbers in page faults and high numbers indicate
that you may be low on memory..

It is more reliable to use normal system monitoring tools outside Squid.
If you find that your system is swapping a lot then you have a problem
and may need more memory or to limit the memory usage of Squid (see the
Squid FAQ chapter on memory usage).