Re: [squid-users] SSL<->SSL<->unencrypted, (was: provide external access)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:05:33 +0100

Squid-2.5 can provide SSL acceleration like

clients -- https(SSL) --> Squid -- HTTP --> Web server

Squid-3.0 will also provide https proxy capability on the backend,
allowing

clients --> Squid (decrypted) -- https(SSL) -> Web server

This functionality is also available as a patch to Squid-2.5 from
http://devel.squid-cache.org/

The use of https is also supported on peer proxy connections, allowing

clients --> Squid -- https(SSL) --> Another Squid --> Web server

And in both cases Squid can also optionally present a "client
certificate" to the SSL peer, specified in squid.conf.

Note: proxying of the original client certificate is not possible due to
the man-in-the-middle scenario of these configurations.