Re: [squid-users] Transparent proxying + LDAP authentication

From: Brett Lymn <blymn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:03:47 +1030

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:03:08PM +0000, Richard Barrett wrote:

> You missed the point entirely.

Indeed - you were a bit vague about what your objection was.

> My objection is to the use of transparent proxying for secretly monitoring
> user behaviour which is what the original poster was suggesting. I regard
> this as fundamentally dishonest, underhand and an abuse of civil liberties,
> which only the supporters of the secret police can see as justifiable. I am
> not so naive as to think that this sort of abuse does not go on but abuse
> is still abuse. In my opinion it should be challenged when encountered.

Heh - my experience has been even when you are up front about the
monitoring most people seem to have no clue as to the extent you can
track their activities. This is even when they get a
username/password dialogue box stuck in their face.

Monitoring/reporting _does_ need to be backed by clear policy on what
will be collected and who it will be diseminated to.

--
Brett Lymn