[squid-users] FTP through MS IE

From: David Flood <dpf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 12:21:24 -0000

We have recently went behind a firewall which meant our web access was totally reliant
on the proxy. FTP did not seem to the work at all with the old version of squid we were
using so I've just upgraded to the latest version (2.5 stable1). This seems to improve
the situation but some FTP sites do not work through the squid proxy but works through
our IPlanet/Netscape proxy which we are trying to get rid of as it is so buggy. One site
as an example is the finland download site for samba linked to from www.samba.org
the address is ftp://fi.samba.org/pub/samba/
Under squid this site gives a ftp protocol error while the Germany and Italy links from
the same page work fine. Here is a cut&paste of the error page:

ERROR

An FTP protocol error occurred while trying to retrieve the URL:
ftp://fi.samba.org/pub/samba/

Squid sent the following FTP command:

NLST

and then received this reply