RE: [squid-users] NTLM questions (sorry)

From: <daniel.jarboe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:51:11 -0500

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-23.html will prove very helpful.
You need samba --with-winbind and --with-winbind-auth-challenge, and
join the domain for squid's ntlm authentication to work. The winbind
and windows domain server stuff is in samba's smb.conf. Smbd and nmbd
won't need to run, but winbindd will.

Also in squid.conf, you'll need to put the ntlm auth_param's before the
basic auth_param's, if you want non ntlm-enabled web-clients to fallback
to basic, and IE to try ntlm first.

> As I've been writing this, it has dawned on me that I'm not actually
> specifying the Windows domain server anywhere in the conf files. Does
> ntlm_auth broadcast on the local network to find a domain controller?

Good luck,
~ Daniel

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.