Re: [squid-users] More than one cache?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 02 Apr 2003 17:31:48 +0200

raid5 is the worst possible disk model for Squid performance. The
performance of your three disks is almost limited to that of a single
disk when using raid5.

I would install one more drive, then use two of the drives in mirror for
OS, swap and logs, and two drives as plain drives without mirror for
cache. Alternatively two mirrors with the data spread out on both.

There is no benefit in having more than one cache directory per logical
drive (standalone drive, or raid cluster). Use only one cache_dir per
locical drive.

Size the space of your cache and log directories according to the amount
of logs you need to keep and the amount of memory you can afford for the
cache index (see the Squid FAQ on memory usage).

--
Free Squid-users support provided by Henrik Nordström <hno@squid-cache.org>
PayPal donations welcome if you consider my Free Squid support helpful.