[squid-users] Squid hangs for 9 seconds before serving a page

From: Graham Leggett <minfrin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 21:38:29 +0200

Hi all,

I have a squid squid-2.4.STABLE6-6.7.3 server (packaged by Redhat)
configured as a transparent proxy.

Accessing webpages without the proxy there results in an immediate
return of a result. With the squid proxy in place, an approximately 9
second delay is introduced between the page being submitted and the
result being returned.

This same delay is apparent no matter whether squid has just started up,
or if it has been running for a while, and is unrelated to memory size.
DNS lookups are switched off.

Is there anything else I should be checking? Could this be squid trying
to do ident lookups? If so, how do I switch it off - I could find no
options related to ident except for an ident timeout option - I set it
to 1 second, but it made no difference.

I looked in the FAQ for issues relating to slowness, but it only made
reference to memory, which is not a problem.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon