[squid-users] Authentication

From: Gator <gator@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 23:01:18 -0400

I have been using basic authentication nicely for some time against a
MySQL database. The problem is that there are several programs - most
notably TurboTax - that do not give back an authentication challenge.
Interestingly the help screens in TurboTax indicate that it should deal
with proxy authentication. There are many others that give me the same
problem. Most of them are programs that update themselves through the
web.

This is a problem because I am forcing my users through the proxy by
disabling port 80. So they have no way to obtain these updates beside
going through the proxy.

Is there some configuration parameter that would help this problem? For
instance, once the user is authenticated could I configure Squid to
accept all requests from that particular IP address for the next hour
without further authentication? Or any other potential workarounds?

Thanks - Jack