RE: [squid-users] Questions on URL filters

From: Boosten, Peter <Peter.Boosten@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 07:55:11 +0200

# Hi folks,
#
# we're looking for URL filters to use with squid. The
# requirements would
# at least be regularly (e.g. weekly) updated filter lists, the
# possibility to filter based on IP adresses, the ability to include
# additional URL's and IP addresses as well as the ability to exclude
# URL's/IP adresses from the list. A fairly easy administration (GUI?,
# browser front end?) of the filter lists would also be nice.
#
# So the question is which tools do you gurus use and what are your
# experiences and opinions about them?
#

We're using Smartfilter from Secure Computing.

It's a very expensive product (not as expensive as others though), and it
took lots of finetuning before we got it blocking what we want it to: in the
beginning we had lots of false positives, as the product is American, and
they seem to think that all German/Swiss/Austrian sites are "Personal", all
Chinese sites are either "Mature" or "Sex"-related. Complaining doesn't
help, since this product (and most others are) is filled with a webspider.

We're filtering on URL's, and the product does reverse lookups.

Peter

This e-mail is for the intended recipient only.
If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply and then
delete it from your system; access, disclosure, copying, distribution or
reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited.
If you as intended recipient have received this e-mail incorrectly, please
notify the sender (via e-mail) immediately.