Re: [squid-users] redirecting FTP and SSL

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 21:04:22 +0200

There are very large differences.

In normal proxying the browser knows there is a proxy, and instead of
connecting to the origin server the browser connects to the proxy and
sends a HTTP proxy request, requesting the proxy to retrieve the
requested URL.

In transparent proxying the browser does not know about the proxy, and
attempts to contact the origin server. By abuse of TCP/IP rules to spoof
the IP address of the intended web server the cache administrator
selects to forbid the user from contacting origin servers directly and
transparently redirects the request to the proxy, which acts as an HTTP
accelerator for any server on the Internet. The request seen by the
proxy is not a proxy request, but a web server request for a specific
file on the contacted web server.

So pretty much everything is different:

  * The HTTP protocol used is different.

  * The address contacted is different

  * The awereness that there is a proxy is different

  * Proxying is TCP/IP standards compliant.

  * Transparent interception is in direct violation with the fundamental
IP standard.

But unfortunately transparent interception is the best tool in many
cases the way things are today.

The drawback apart from some sligt incompabilities is that because
transparent interception seems to solve many problems (but far from all)
there is little or no focus on actually solving the real problem of
getting browsers to use the proxy they should be using when they should
use it.

--
Free Squid-users support provided by Henrik Nordström
<hno@squid-cache.org>