Re: [squid-users] Microsoft and Squid

From: Schelstraete Bart <bart@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 00:53:09 -0700

Hello,

Quoting Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>:

> On performance the ISA server probably wins.

What do you mean with 'perfomance'? Do you mean the speed for the end-user? Or
do you mean the resources (memory,cpu) that the proxy needs?

> Providing solid information on ROI and the like is not at all easy, as
> it entierly depends on your conditions.
>
> If you are a MS site with little or no knowledge in running UNIX type
> applications then ISA server will probably have a better ROI than Squid,
> unless you get bitten by licensing restrictions which increases the cost
> of running ISA server.
>
> If you do have experience of running UNIX type applications then Squid
> probably gives a better ROI in the long run, and gives a lot of benefit
> in flexibility.

Another -maybe small, but important for me- : Squid is 'open source'!
You can modify the program like you want......if there are any bugs, there al
almost immediately patches available....

And.......and......Squid has a good mailinglist :)

rgrds,

     Bart

--
Schelstraete Bart