Re: [squid-users] Transparent proxy and DNS error

From: Khashayar Assa <khashayar_assa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:33:55 +0430

The error page (for any URL) is:

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://foo.bar.com/

The following error was encountered:
Unable to determine IP address from host name for foo.bar.com

The dnsserver returned:
Name Error: The domain name does not exist.

This means that:

The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
Check if the address is correct.

Your cache administrator is ...

The compile options are:

./configure --enable-icmp --enable-htcp --enable-linux-netfilter

And I put this lines in squid.conf:

httpd_accel_host virtual
httpd_accel_port 80
httpd_accel_with_proxy on
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

and necessary ACLs.

both machines have two ethernet card, eth0 with privet IP address and eth1
with public IP adders. For intercept and/or redirect the traffic,
to another machine:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to
10.0.1.1:3128

to same the machine:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT
--to-port 3128

The proxy works (on both machines) if the users configure it in their
browsers while the NAT rules exists.

Regards,
Khashayar