[squid-users] Re: Download accelerators

From: a.m.rasat <a.m.rasat@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 00:54:19 +0700

I know what Waters tried to say : "killing cache objects" means accelerator
application did not use any cached objects.

We have to look beneath such accelerator technology itself. Download
accelerators (btw, I once using Download Accelerator Plus, a spyware I
think) creates multiple threads while downloading to increase download speed
by using smaller object download for each thread. Thus Squid will not give
it cached object to every thread since each thread requesting a part of each
object, not the whole object, even when download accelerator once request
the exact same object from the exact same site through the same exact Squid
cache server. I'm not sure if this behaviour can be change from Squid
configuration, ask Marc or Henrik about this.

By it's nature, I'm pretty much not to encourage everyone using this
technology : I consider it a bit abusing to user's bandwidth, to download
server's bandwidth itself and to other download server's user bandwidth. A
little bit unfair. But that is just my own opinion.

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat.-
Speednet Engineering
PT. HGP Palangkaraya