[squid-users] Re: Persistent squid daemon

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:56:37 +0200

On Monday 21 April 2003 11.46, Joseph Maxwell wrote:

> Your suggestion was to the point, Squid seems to be started by
> "init", which I can't kill. That's why the program restarts, ps:
>
> root 20990 447 6 17e1a40 0 S ?? 0:00.00 squid
> -NsY
>
> ppid ===> 447 , an sbin program RunCache
> root 447 1 6 17e1a40 0 I con- 0:01.63
> /bin/sh /usr/local/sbin/RunCache

Your Squid is started by the RunCache script, which is most likely in
turn started by rc.local or a similar rc boot script.

To stop Squid you must first kill the RunCache script, or it will
automatically restart Squid (this is the sole purpose of RunCache)

To find from which boot script RunCache is started from you can try
the following:

  find /etc -type f -print | xargs grep RunCache

The fact that RunCache has init as parent is normal. Any process where
the parent process no longer exists have init as parent, and this
typically is the case for any daemons.