[squid-users] proxy auth and java applets

From: Rolf <rolf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 19:09:15 +1000

hello

I have squid 2.5s1 using proxy authentication against active directory
ldap-alike groups. Uses squid_ldap_auth for and squid_ldap_group for doing
eth auth and checking the group m'ship.

Works fine, almost. Start the browser and it asks for username/password for
access to the proxy as expected, then off we go. Perfect. However when I
go to some sites that load a java applet as part of the page, the browser
authentication dialog box pops up at the start of the applet loading. If I
ignore that (click cancel or close or whatever) it repeats the question 4
times then gives up and the applet does not load "notinited". If I enter my
user/pass then it loads the applet.
Happens with either mozilla 1.3 or ie 5.5 on win32 (not checked elsewhere).
In the logs there is a TCP_DENIED/407 correspoding to the GET of the url
containing the .class file.

What causes this behaviour and how do I stop it? I have no need for it to
(re-)authenticate before loading java applets.

Thanks.

rolf.