Re: [squid-users] squid & qos

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 22 Apr 2003 17:23:13 +0200

tis 2003-04-22 klockan 16.31 skrev Nahuel Greco:
> Somebody found a better solution for using squid in collaboration with
> traffic control than wrr proxyremap? the scenario is a firewall running
> squid and tc for 400 workstations (each one with their own htb class). The
> problem is to get the squid connections to the outside shaped by the
> workstation class that requested that page. Using tcp_outgoing_tos to mark
> the packet isn't an option because the TOS/DSCP value is a byte, so, only
> 256 classes are allowed. Also, when you use that option only the outgoing
> packets of the http connection to the outside will be marked with that
> value, but not the incoming ones (where all the load is).
>
> Any ideas, at least theorical ones?

If you have many IP addresses available or can use NAT of outgoing
traffic then a combination of tcp_outgoing_tos and tcp_outgoing_address
can be used to make Squid set sufficient selectors on the outgoing
packets.

If you are using Linux 2.4 then you can use my CONNMARK patch (found in
Netfilter patch-o-matic/extra) to remember this selector on the
connection, allowing incoming packets to have the selector restored
allowing them to be grouped into the correct traffic shaping group.

If you are using IP address based selectors then CONNMARK should not be
needed. This should also work on other OS:es.

If possible I would recommend using the NAT approach.

Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
MARA Systems AB, Sweden