Re: [squid-users] Open Relay

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:54:36 +1000

Hi,

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:27:58 +0500
"Ahmad Masood Shah" <masood@ipsec.fibre.net.pk> wrote:

> it's very strange for me Squid and Open realy if you are running a machine
> just for squid then no need to run any service for SMTP. but if you want to
> use your machine for both Squid and SMTP then you will have to patch your
> mail deamon like Sendmail, Postfix or Qmail :)

Squid can be used as an open relay for email if anyone can connect to the SSL
port (443). If that's open, it's very easy to do something like

        # telnet squid-box 443
        Trying w.x.y.z...
        Connected to squid-box.
        Escape character is '^]'.
        CONNECT somehost.somewhere:25 HTTP/1.0

And then you start pumping SMTP commands down the line.

So, what you need to do is:

1) don't allow outsiders to connect to your squid
        -> you'll need to do this

2) don't allow CONNECT to ports you don't think should be allowed
        -> should be so by default, you should have a line like the following:

                http_access deny CONNECT!Safe_ports

Colin

--
Colin Campbell