Re: [squid-users] errors-to-log ratio/thresholds for software abort and comm_accept

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:51:38 +0200

On Friday 25 April 2003 03.58, Adam wrote:

> So I am just wondering how many is
> "too many" and if my daily error message totals, relative to the
> daily size of the access.log file, are ok, average, or too high/a
> sign of a problem.

"too many" is a very subjective. The main criteria for "too many" is
if there is complaints which can be correlated with these messages,
or if they are otherwise causing any problems for you.

> 886 messages with 'Software caused connection abort'
> 443 messages with 'comm_accept: FD *: (*) Software
> caused connection abort'
> 1,503,788 access.log = Total number lines in the /logs/access.log
> file

The above is very little. I would not worry about it at all unless
there is a user complain that they cannot use the proxy and this
complaint correlates with these messsages.

If these messages bug you then you can change the source to not log
them. This is certainly true for comm_accept where this message is
even expected from normal traffic on certain OS:es (and Solaris is
believed to be one of these OS:es)