Re: [squid-users] anonymous

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:21:13 +0200

Hey...

If you ask for help would you kindly tell us your real name? <sigh>

> This is my question:
> At this link you may check if your server Proxy is anonymous.
> http://www.it-faq.pl/tools/
>
> When I checked it, than I found that my proxy isnt anonymous.
> It has shown me local IP address and on this base told me that my
> Proxy isnt anonymous.

What do you mean by anonymous? Of course your proxy server needs a valid
IP address on the external interface. Anonymizers work that way that all
your accesses are proxied by a single server so the destination web
server doesn't know who you are. There is "anonymous on/off" switch.
If a web site tells you your _local_ IP address then you don't use your
own proxy.

> Why it is bad and how to fix it ?

It's not bad at all. Paranoid hackers or warez kiddies use anonymizers.
Why should you?

> Does anyone know other online scanners to check security ?

Off-topic. nmap, nessus... whatever.

Somehow I feel like this has nothing to do with Squid at all.

 Christoph

--
~
~