[squid-users] httpd_accel and caching

From: David LePage <dwlepage@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:54:38 -0700 (PDT)

Im wondering if someone has any ideas. I've got a situation as follows.

Apache --reverse proxy-->squid in httpd_accel mode --> OWA / Exchange
2000.

The connection hits Apache as HTTPS and I have the Front-End-Https header
turned on to force a connection all the way to OWA via HTTPS.
The problem I am having is on slower connections, it takes 1-2 minutes to
load the GIF's from the Exchange mailbox. Im wondering if there is a way
with squid running in acceleration mode to somehow cache the GIF's for the
mailboxes within squid, to speed up the page loading process, if this is
even possible. Maybe it won't speed things up much?

Here is the config of the front end webserver + accelerator:

Apache
Listen port 443
ProxyPass localhost:8080
ProxyPassReverse localhost:8080

Squid on W2K (serassio's version)
http port 8080
httpd_accel_host owa.domain.com
httpd_accel_port 80

If I load the page the first time it will take almost 2 minutes. If I
close the browser and not clear the cache, it will take 15 seconds. That
is with less than 56K modem speeds. I have a single backend OWA if that
makes a difference. Is there any way to force caching of these pages to
hopefully speed this up?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,