Re: [squid-users] Delay pools

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:45:01 +0200

On Tuesday 29 April 2003 05.41, Awie wrote:
> Finally..... I am still confuse about the number.
>
> Below a sample for delay_parameter, but I don't know how to do a
> calculation.

From the squid.conf documentation:

A pair of delay parameters is written restore/maximum, where restore
is the number of bytes (not bits - modem and network speeds are
usually quoted in bits) per second placed into the bucket, and
maximum is the maximum number of bytes which can be in the bucket at
any time.

For example, if delay pool number 1 is a class 2 delay pool as in the
above example, and is being used to strictly limit each host to
64kbps (plus overheads), with no overall limit, the line is:

    delay_parameters 1 -1/-1 8000/8000

Note that the figure -1 is used to represent "unlimited".

And, if delay pool number 2 is a class 3 delay pool as in the above
example, and you want to limit it to a total of 256kbps (strict
limit) with each 8-bit network permitted 64kbps (strict limit) and
each individual host permitted 4800bps with a bucket maximum size of
64kb to permit a decent web page to be downloaded at a decent speed
(if the network is not being limited due to overuse) but slow down
large downloads more significantly:

    delay_parameters 2 32000/32000 8000/8000 600/8000