[squid-users] editing autoconf.h & max File Descriptors failing

From: Adam <adam-s@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:17:05 -0700

Hello,

I am trying to bump up the number of file descriptors available to squid on
a Solaris 8 Ultra 60 with "set rlim_fd_cur=2048" and "set rlim_fd_max=8192"
set in /etc/system (similar to that suggested in the FAQ). My korn shell
has 2048 FD's by default, I set "ulimit -n 8192" in my start script. (I
also tried manually setting my shell to 8129 FD's). Each time "configure"
was run it should have either defaulted to 2048 or 8192. In addition, per
messages to this group, I also re-edited the include/autoconf.h file and
changed 1024 to 8192 each time I retried it. Configure even seems to
recognize that it *can* open 8192:

./configure
. . .
checking Default FD_SETSIZE value... 1024
checking Maximum number of filedescriptors we can open... 8192

However for any version I re-compile from scratch and put into place,
Cachemanager still reports "Maximum number of file descriptors: 1024."
Just curious what step I missed as I thought I read what to do from the many
other posts trying to bump up file descriptors. Sorry if its obvious but I
am not getting it. (while the faq warns against rlim_fd_cur greater than
256, other sources have said it's ok to bump up and we don't run a license
manager on this server, only squid).

thanks,

Adam