Re: [squid-users] squid with linux or freeBSD?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 12:36:56 +0200

On Friday 02 May 2003 11.51, Ahmad Masood Shah wrote:
> then what you suggest.. I think raid1 is much better for squid then
> all other with duplexing...

For best performance I suggest stand alone cache drives if it is
acceptable to restart Squid if one drive fails. This usually is
acceptable and can easily be done automatically by a system monitor
detectin a failed drive.

For a easy manageable system such as at a remote location with no good
technical people around or where a reboot is not acceptable to
replace a failed drive I propose hardware raid1+hotswap.

As entry level I propose a system with two IDE drives (one on each IDE
channel), using software raid1 for the OS + logs, and one plain
partition on each drive for cache. For medium maintainability place
the drives in cold swap drive bays.