Re: [squid-users] upgrading 2.4stable7 to 2.5stable2

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 21:27:01 +0200

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 20.33, Marc Elsen wrote:

> I too am faced by trying to keep squid 'into one account'
> so to speak.
>
> I solve this by symbolic links,afterwards fooling
> it somewhat

My preferred method is to install different versions of Squid into
different prefix directories, and then have squid.conf tell Squid
where to put shared data such as cache, logs etc.. then the only
thing you need to worry about is the path of the Squid binary you are
to run, the rest is derived automatically by configuration. Each
version have their own configuration file.

Configuration directives of shared data:

  cache_dir
  cache_access_log
  cache_log
  cache_store_log (note: I usually set this to none)
  pid_filename

Note: the pid_filename needs to be set the same to make sure you do
not accidently try to start two different Squid versions at the same
time.

This also has the benefit that you do not need to change anything when
temporarily switching Squid version. Just shut down the "old" version
and then start the "new" by full path.